ST MARY'S CHURCH

1931 - 2021

 
DESIGNS FOR A NEW CHURCH

St Mary's Church was built in 1931, when it replaced the original prefabricated tin hut that had served as a daughter church of St Paul's in the centre of Whitley Bay. The area where the church now stands was yet to be built on.

 

There were many designs, and the chosen scheme was a brick built church in the romanesque style (similar in style to an ancient Roman basilica where early Christians would have met). The original plan was to have a large bell tower, but the building was not completed. 

 
LAYING THE FOUNDATION STONE

The Foundation Stone of the Church was laid on 9th May 1931 by the Bishop of Newcastle, Harold Bilborough.

 
THE HALL AND THE WEST EXTENSION

In 1957 a new Church Hall was built on the site of the original St Mary's church, next to the new building. The Main church building was completed in 1963 by the adding of a baptistry and vestibule at the west end. 

 
REORDERING THE CHURCH

By the 2000s, the church was in need of updating, both to match the liturgical developments of the church, and to install modern equipment.  Completed in 2015, the reordering retained many of the original features from the 1930s, but added some technical features from the 21st Century– such as modern lighting, sound system, fully equipped kitchen, heating and toilet facilities. 

 
ST MARY'S TODAY

Today we are proud of our bright and welcoming church, and the flexibility of the space has helped us to bring worship to people at home during lockdown.

 
THE FUTURE

We are currently exploring a grounds redevelopment, so that the unloved areas around the church and the hall can reflect the real St Mary's. You can find out more about it here