top of page
ST MARY'S CHURCH
1931 - 2021
Designs for the church
DESIGNS FOR A NEW CHURCH
St Mary's Church was built in 1931, when it replaced the original prefabricated tin hut that had served as a daughter church of St Paul's in the centre of Whitley Bay. The area where the church now stands was yet to be built on.
There were many designs, and the chosen scheme was a brick built church in the romanesque style (similar in style to an ancient Roman basilica where early Christians would have met). The original plan was to have a large bell tower, but the building was not completed.
LAYING THE FOUNDATION STONE
The Foundation Stone of the Church was laid on 9th May 1931 by the Bishop of Newcastle, Harold Bilborough.
The Hall & Extension
THE HALL AND THE WEST EXTENSION
In 1957 a new Church Hall was built on the site of the original St Mary's church, next to the new building. The Main church building was completed in 1963 by the adding of a baptistry and vestibule at the west end.
Reordering in 2000s